UNPO is looking to fill a Communications Officer traineeship position
The Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO) is an international association of nations and peoples without equal representation in the institutions of national or international governance. We are working for a world where every citizen can take part in the conduct of public affairs at any level and where all peoples can freely pursue their political, economic, social and cultural development.
UNPO is intending to fill a Communications Officer traineeship position, under a Belgian convention d'immersion professionnelle. The position provides a recent graduate with an excellent opportunity to learn about and be involved in all aspects of the work of a human rights-focussed, non-governmental organization.
The selected person will support the communications-related aspects of UNPO’s strategy, and as such will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of our organization’s programmatic work. This includes our work to conduct policy research and publish reports on the basis of this research; to support our members to engage in effective advocacy before national and international bodies and to provide them with training related to best practices in this regard; and to build and strengthen the UNPO network and implement thematic campaigns addressing systemic issues impacting our membership as a whole. Our three current thematic campaigns relate to updating the right to self-determination for the modern era (Reimagining Self-Determination), responding to attacks on defenders of unrepresented people operating internationally (Compromised Spaces), and enabling greater participation of women from UNPO member peoples in political processes (Unrepresented Women).
The selected person will work under the direct supervision of UNPO’s Campaigns & Networks Coordinator, and will have the opportunity to work with and learn from all members of the UNPO’s Secretariat team, as well as UNPO’s members where appropriate. This position will be on a contrat d’immersion professionnelle (CIP, 1,000€/month, full-time), concluded for six months with the potential (if possible under Belgian law) to renew once. The traineeship will start between Wednesday 1 May 2019 and 30 June 2019 (depending on the applicant, but with an earlier start preferred) and will be located in the Secretariat of UNPO, based in Brussels, Belgium, with the possibility of some travel around and outside Europe.
- Supporting our thematic campaigns through helping develop, produce and disseminate human stories (written and audio-visual) and infographics aimed at making our work accessible for a non-expert audience;
- Assisting with the maintenance and development of UNPO’s website and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn) accounts and our efforts to develop and implement strategies to broaden UNPO’s network of influence on social media and with the news media.
- Providing communications and logistical support to events organized by UNPO including UNPO membership meetings, expert workshops, advocacy roundtables and trainings;
- Drafting UNPO’s external and internal newsletters, and helping proofread and format reports, policy papers, and other documents published by UNPO
- Maintaining UNPO’s general email accounts and internal communications and filing systems.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Recent graduate (two years or less; including those scheduled to graduate before the summer of 2019) from a master’s degree or equivalent post-graduate programme in journalism, communications, human rights or another relevant discipline;
- Fluent in English with excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- A self-starter and creative thinker.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a multi-cultural environment.
- Right to live and work in Belgium
- Fluency in other languages, other than English, relevant to UNPO (e.g. French, Dutch, Arabic, Russian, etc.);
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the field of indigenous peoples and minorities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of or interest in communications media, press relations and/or graphical design
If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter (in English) to email@example.com with the subject line "Communications Officer: Your name".
Deadline for applications: 10 April 2019
Interviews will be held the week commencing 15 April 2019.