Nagalim: NSCN-IM on Feedback Drive
The ceasefire agreement between both sides, renewed on January 31 for just six months, will lapse on July 31 unless there is another extension. Last week, a consultative meeting was held under the aegis of the Western Angami Public Organisation at Zubza.
Senior NSCN (I-M) functionary V.S. Atem said a solution to the Naga impasse “will not fall from heaven”, which is why the militant group was consulting various community organisations. He described the series of meetings as attempts to reach out to the Nagas of every tribe and region.
The idea, he explained, was to facilitate better understanding among the Naga tribes and ensure that no wrong message was sent out to the Centre. Kraibo Chawang, the NSCN (I-M)’s deputy kilonser (minister) for information, said the outfit was keyed up for the talks.
Another senior leader said the outfit’s rank and file and the community as a whole were anxious about the lack of response from the Centre on the future course of the talks. “The government of India is not opening its mouth,” he added.
The NSCN (I-M) has proposed a federal structure under which “India and Nagalim” will be separate entities but with a strong bond.
The outfit has also been on the offensive against other outfits, reportedly cornering the Naga National Council (Adinno) in Phek and the Khaplang group in Mon and pockets of Phek and Tuensang districts.
On the other hand, the Nagaland government has been cautious in its remarks on the NSCN (I-M)’s activities and the peace process. Various NGOs have insisted that the Centre spell out what is to be done. The Congress has urged Delhi to come up with a “blueprint” for the peace process.