Nagalim: Awaiting Next Round of Talks
23 days to go for the expiry of the current cease-fire term between the government of India and the NSCN-IM, it is the Naga society who are now all focussed on the next round of talks between the NSCN-IM representatives and that of the Government of India.
The proposed mid-January talks between the Government of India and the NSCN-IM will decide the matter regarding the cease-fire terms, according to top NSCN-IM sources who informed Newmai News Network today in Dimapur.
As of now, the popular speculations doing the round among the Who’s Who of the Naga circle is that the current cease-fire term is definitely going to be extended again for another term after it expires on January 31.
The recent record by NSCN-IM’s Th Muivah threatening to pull out of the ongoing peace process, has been the reason for the panicky striking the public psyche that the days of turmoil in Naga areas are not far behind. Th Muivah gave the statement in an interview with Subir Bhaumik, a BBC journalist in Bangkok on November-3 last year. But the people heaved a sigh of relief when NSCN-IM home minister Rh Raising said two days ago that interim solution is on the card.
The NSCN-IM leader had said this while talking to a Dimapur media establishment adding that interim solution was the corridor to permanent settlement of the Naga issue. The various Naga Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs) including the Naga Hoho, the Naga Mothers Association and the Naga Students’ Federation have been running against time campaigning not to abrogate the ongoing peace process. The government of India had, on various occasions, expressed optimism that the NSCN-IM would not call it quit regarding ongoing cease-fire.
But the comments of frustration spewed out by the NSCN-IM's collective leadership from time to time owing to the snail's pace of the peace talks, had put the government of India in an uncomfortable situation.