Somaliland: British Ambassador States that UNSC Will Discuss Petition for Recognition
Following a very successful petition conducted by the government of Somaliland, which called for the country’s international recognition after 25 years of independence and which was signed by over 1 million Somalilanders, the topic seems to have reached the United Nations Security Council’s agenda. Asked about whether he was aware of this petition, the UK’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Matthew Rycroft, said that the issue would be “pursued”. This is only the latest of a series of positive signs, suggesting that the international community is slowly realising the reality of Somaliland’s self-determination.
Below is an article by Inner City Press:
UNITED NATIONS, August 23 -- After in Somaliland a petition was announced, with a million signatures, seeking recognition of independence, Inner City Press put the question on August 23 to the UN Security Council's penholder the UK, Ambassador Matthew Rycroft, Beyond The Vine here, UK transcript here:
Inner City Press: Ambassador, is the Council working on anything on Somalia and the terrorist attack in Puntland? And are you aware of this Somaliland petition that supposedly asks for recognition of Somaliland as independent with a million signatures?
Amb Rycroft: I will get back to you on both of those things. We did have a presidential statement on Somalia, which set out the Security Council’s disappointment with the delay with the elections. That was the last action on Somalia that we had here. But as pen holder, we will pursue both those points.
As noted, the Security Council Presidential Statement doesn't mention Somaliland. And while the US on August 21 condemned the attack in Puntland, the UN and its Security Council have yet to. Watch this site.
Earlier this year when UN Relief Chief Stephen O'Brien came to answer questions on February 9 about the UN's report for the upcoming World Humanitarian Summit, Inner City Press asked him why his Central Emergency Relief Fund gave funds to Ethiopia but not Somaliland, given FAO's finding of drought. Video here.
O'Brien answered that aid access in Yemen is key, and said there is no legal impediment to CERF funds for Somaliland.
Now in April 2016, after the UN of Ban Ki-moon and USG Cristina Gallach ousted then evicted Inner City Press from the UN on April 16 (video here and here; more info here) and tore the Free UN Coalition for Access sign off the office door, FUNCA member Mohamoud Walaaleye has raised the issued, and interviewed Dick Trenchard, Head FAO Somalia and Somaliland. According to Mohamoud Walaaleye's reporting, FOA's Trenchard said
“We are re-programming, and bringing resources another parts of our program, like Somalia, and three million arrived yesterday. We will done a lot cash for work, that put cash people’s pockets. They can buy seeds, and we are looking working now Government’s ministry of Agriculture, how we can help them provide vouchers to farmers, and it’s our priority. This was discussed during meeting Mr. de Clerk had with President Silanyo... I am proud of the handover to the Vice President of six thousand and one hundred, local initiative FAO Somaliland office staff contributed drought assistance, and I am really proud of it. I think it expresses and captures the passion of FAO team here in Hargeisa, we are all people who really care food security of Somaliland, the contribution is small amount, when looked needs, but, on the other hand it shows our serious and massive commitment working as hard as we can and people are passionate contributing as well.”
We'll have more on this.
Photo courtesy of tristam sparks@flickr