Crimean Tatars: Call To Remember The Past And To Respect People’s Rights Today
The resolution of the participants of the All-Crimean Meeting on the European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism reminds everyone to remember the horrors of the past and highlights today civil freedoms, human and people’s rights are in danger in the Ukraine again.
Below is an article published by Mejlis of the Crimean Tartar People:
We, the participants of All-Crimean meeting, timed to the European Day of remembrance for the victims of Stalinism and Nazismto preserve the memory of the victims of mass deportations and exterminations, expressing our full support of the Resolution of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly “Reunion of Segregated Europe: Promotion for Human Rights and Civil Freedoms in the Region of the OSCE in the 21st century”, adopted on July 3, 2009 in Vilnius:
- noting that Ukrainian and Crimean Tatar peoples were subjected to genocide, violation of rights and freedoms and crimes against humanity, committed by the Communist and Nazi regimes in the nearest past,
- underscoring that the civil freedoms, human rights and peoples’ rights are in danger in Ukraine again, due to activization of the political forces that openly justify the Communist regime and the crimes it committed against the Crimean Tatar and Ukrainian peoples,
- expressing our special concern about the lack of the systematic political dialogue in the country between the authorities and the opposition that could result in the establishment of the authoritative regime,
- noting the open ignoring by the state of the necessity of the complex solution of the issues, relating to the return, resettlement and restoration of the rights of the Crimean Tatar people that was subjected to the deportation from its Homeland and was forcibly kept in the places of exile fore decades by the Communist regime of the USSR,
- demand from the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the Council of Ministers of Ukraine the absolute respect of the international legal acts in the field of Human Rights and people’s rights by the Ukrainian state.
In this respect we address the OSCE, the Council of Europe and the European Union to adopt the concrete decisions and acts, promoting the democratization of the Ukrainian society and restoration of the rights of the Crimean Tatar people, returning to its Homeland – the people, subjected to the genocide for decades on the part of the Communist regime of the USSR.
On this day we together with all European peoples lean our heads, commemorating millions of victims of Stalinism and Nazism!
Adopted at All-Crimean meeting, timed to European Day of remembrance for the victims of Stalinism and Nazismto preserve the memory of the victims of mass deportations and exterminations.