Twin Earthquakes Devastate Southern Azerbaijan
A pair of earthquakes which struck Southern Azerbaijan on 11 August 2012 have resulted in devastation in the region, levelling houses and leaving hundreds dead and even more injured.
Below is an article published by Al Jazeera:
Casualties from a pair of earthquakes that devastated rural villages in northwest Iran on the weekend have risen to a total of 306 people, most of them women and children, and injured 3,037, Health Minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi said.
The official toll, presented in a report to politicians on Monday [13 August 2012] and published on the parliament's website, was a big jump over the last count given on Sunday [12 August 2012] by Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar, who spoke of 227 dead and 1,380 injured.
Vahid Dastjerdi said that, of the 306 deaths, hospital morgues counted 219 women and children and 49 men. The discrepancy with the total appeared to come from the fact that some of those killed were buried by their families before officials arrived at the scene.
She also said that, of the 3,037 injured, most were given first aid at the scene, while the others were taken to hospitals for treatment. Some 700 surgeries were performed, she said.
Vahid Dastjerdi said that "we are continuing the search for bodies".
Hassan Ghadami, deputy interior minister in charge of crisis management, told the meeting of lawmakers, "Many of the victims were killed in the first hours [after the quake] due to the mass of muddy rubble ... and the old structure of houses in the region."
Two earthquakes measuring 6.4 and 6.3 on the moment magnitude scale rumbled through northwest Iran on Saturday [11 August 2012], levelling mud brick and concrete homes in villages to the northeast of the city of Tabriz.
Iran's government has launched a fund to quickly rebuild homes in the mountainous region before the onset of the harsh winter in around four months, as it announced two days of mourning.
The head of Iran's Red Crescent, Abdolhossein Faghih, told the same hearing that 230 villages had been badly damaged, including a number totally destroyed. A state grant of nearly $1,000 per family has been approved, along with low-interest loans for up to $6,000.
Faghih said the Red Crescent has provided relief in the meantime for more than 16,000 people who are left homeless, distributing thousands of tents and blankets, and food and water.
Iran rejected offers of outside help in the wake of the quakes from a number of countries, including the United States, Germany, Turkey, Taiwan, Singapore and Russia. It said it could cope with the disaster itself.
"We received offers of help from several countries ... but as we have sufficient men and resources we did not need this foreign aid. We thanked them for their offers," Faghih said.
Meanwhile, several Iranian blogs and news sites have criticised Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for not visiting the affected areas and leaving the country for a meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation in Saudi Arabia without issuing a statement of condolence or support to the survivors of Saturday's earthquakes.
Authorities called off rescue operations on Sunday [12 August 2012] after saying all possible survivors had been recovered.
Iran sits astride several major fault lines and is prone to frequent earthquakes, some of which have been devastating.
* * * *
In response to the earthquake, the Southern Azerbaijan National Awakening Movement (SANAM) have released the following statement:
Many small earthquakes hit northeastern South Azerbaijan, along with two large magnitude (6.3 and 6.4) earthquakes that were centered in the Garadagh (Qaradağ) region, close to city of Tabriz. These two large magnitude earthquakes caused heavy destruction of village homes in the towns of Ahar (Əhər) and Varzeegone (Vərziqan), where the population is made up almost entirely of Southern Azerbaijani Turks.
Due to the harsh mountainous landscape of the region, it is reported that still, after 4 days since the earthquake hit, that there are tens of villages which still have not seen any type of search and rescue efforts. Tabnak.ir, the website of the former head of the Iranian Sepah (militay branch) reports number of deaths to have exceeded 6,000 (six thousand).
The Southern Azerbaijan National Awakening Movement (SANAM) announced three days of mourning in memory of the victims. SANAM also worked closely with the Turkish Red Crescent and helped set up a donation campaign by texting TEBRİZ (Tabriz) to 2868 with any cell phone operator within Turkey, where 5 Turkish Liras would be sent with each text.
It is of great expectations of the people of South Azerbaijan to see their voices echoed by the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO) and the United Nations (UN). Together, with the help of international organizations, the governments, and the world media, it is possible to show the true face of the Iranian regime. The next step would be to help build a route for steady flow of close international surveillance (media) and goods (food, medication, shelter and etc).
To read the statement in full, please click here